Friday, October 26, 2012

That Hexagon is a Tricky Hexagon

That hexagon is tricky, isn't it?  It is for our Kindergartners anyways!  The hexagon is commonly confused with the octagon.  Knowing that some of our shapes are still tricky for the kiddos in Room 207, we have been reviewing shapes recently.  I introduced my Kindergartners to my friend, SHAPE MONSTER....

We practice "feeding" our shape monster shapes for breakfast!  The Kindergartners LOVE feeding him and never forget to remind me that he is probably hungry!

We also learned to play "I Have, Who Has:  Shapes".  Each student is given one or two cards (see below).  The first student begins by saying, "I have the red circle.  Who has the green square?"  Then, the person with the green square on the top reads their card.  We continue until all cards have been read!  This is a great game to not only review shapes, but it develops listening skills and reviews colors.


On another note, we celebrated Aidan's birthday today!  Mrs. Harnish came in to read us a story.  She read The Mixed-up Chameleon, which is one of Aidan's favorite books.  Happy birthday Aidan!


Kindergartners never cease to amaze me. During Snack & Chat today, some friends decided it would be fun to make patterns out of their snacks!  One friend started...and it quickly spread throughout the room.  Those who hadn't eaten all their snacks began frantically creating any patterns they could make.  Others whose snacks were gone began making patterns out of markers, crayons, anything around!  I LOVE seeing my Kindergartners take initiative in their own learning.  The shouts of "I made an AB pattern!" and "Mine is an ABC pattern!" melted my heart.  Way to go Kindergartners!





No comments:

Post a Comment